- The Great Composers: Johann Sebastian Bach – This edition of the Great Composers series explores the life and achievements of Johann Sebastian Bach. This documentary visits the places where the musician grew up and worked, including the sites of Arnstadt, Lepizig, Kothen and Muhlausen. Also explored are the methods Bach used for composing, as well as the socio-political environment of the time in which he lived. (Netflix DVD)
- Glory to God Alone: The Life of J.S. Bach – We are accompanied by Bach authorities, including classical guitarist Christopher Parkening, who guide us through the development, personal crises, challenges, remarkable work, and the compelling inner motivation of Bach. (Amazon INSTANT)
- J.S. Bach – J.S. BACH: THE MUSIC, THE LIFE, THE LEGEND is a dramatic look at the life of Johann Sebastian Bach, a man who dedicated his life to the service of music. (Amazon INSTANT)
- Beethoven Lives Upstairs – Based on the best-selling and award-winning Classical Kids CD, Beethoven Lives Upstairs was hailed upon its original release as “a video masterpiece” by the Boston Herald and “the best family film to appear in a long time” by the Ottawa Citizen. The television special has been seen on HBO, PBS, CBC, the Family Channel and YTV and the home video has sold more than 250,000 copies in North America. Based in part on historical fact and featuring more than 25 beautifully-performed excerpts of Beethoven’s best-loved works, Beethoven Lives Upstairs presents the great composer as a hero for today’s children.(You Tube)
- Beethoven: Eroica – Re-creating a historic moment — June 9, 1804, when Ludwig van Beethoven unveiled his masterpiece “Eroica” (Symphony no. 3) to a select audience at the Lobkowitz palace — this BBC production stars Ian Hart as the famed German composer. In attendance are his aristocrat host (Jack Davenport), self-styled music connoisseur Count Dietrichstein (Tim Pigott-Smith) and fellow composer Josef Haydn (Frank Finlay). (Netflix DVD)
- Beethoven: The Sound and the Fury – Ludwig Von Beethoven continued composing and playing music after going completely deaf, but that’s just one fascinating fact about one of the greatest classical composers of all time. This biography explores the man’s life. Highlighted are his romantic failures and his courtroom battle to prove his noble lineage. Scholars and musicians comment on his character, talent and legacy, and world-class orchestras perform the composer’s works. (Netflix DVD)
- In Search of Beethoven – Phil Grabsky, award-winning director of In Search of Mozart, lenses this feature length, in-depth look at Ludwig van Beethoven, which features new insights into the composer’s life and music, and excerpts from more than 60 live performances. Performers and musical authorities interviewed for the film include Sir Roger Norrington, Claudio Abbado, Ronald Brautigam, Hélène Grimaud, Vadim Repin, Janine Jansen, Lars Vogt and Emanuel Ax. (Netflix INSTANT)
- In Search of Mozart – 1st feature-length doc on Mozarts life. (Amazon INSTANT)
- In Search of Hadyn – Working its way chronologically through the life story of composer Joseph Haydn, this documentary is resplendent in interviews and live performances. Leading performers play and then explain just what makes his music so unique. (Netflix DVD)
- The Grand Piano – Here is a short film (12 min) which tells the fascinating story of the Grand American Piano in American history, and how they are restored nearly 100 years later. Enjoy this short and educational video that Roman Roads Media produced for Clint Hughes of Grand American Piano.
BIBLE RELATED MUSIC
- Singing the Psalms – One of the best ways to learn Scripture is to put it to music. Dr. David Erb, director of music at Christ Church, Moscow, Idaho, and Fellow of Music at New Saint Andrews College, has composed new music for many of the Psalms and Hymns.
CDs that tell a story with music (ALL ages)
- Beethoven Lives Upstairs by Classical Kids
- Tchaikovsky Discovers America by Classical Kids
- Vivaldi’s Ring of Mystery (Audio CD) by Classical Kids
- Mozart’s Magic Fantasy: A Journey Through ‘The Magic Flute’ by Classical Kids
- Mr. Bach Comes To Call by Classical Kids
- Classical Kids: Hallelujah Handel! by Classical Kids
- Mozart’s Magnificent Voyage by Classical Kids
- Song of the Unicorn by Classical Kids
- Classical Kids Christmas by Classical Kids
- Daydreams And Lullabies by Classical Kids
- The Best of Vivaldi by Classical Kids
You should preview all movies to make sure that it is appropriate for your family.
We have tried to put these in the best age group for watching.
If you have any videos that you would recommend in this category, please contact us or share your ideas in our private Facebook Group.
Netflix INSTANT can be watched streaming with your Netflix account and costs $7.99 a month. Netflix DVDis also $7.99 a month for checking out 1 DVD at a time and can be added to your streaming package for a total of $15.98 per month.
Amazon Prime Membership (we call this Amazon INSTANT) is $79 for the year. With this package, you get FREE 2-day shipping, instant streaming videos and tv shows, and instant access to Kindle books.
Roku is a streaming device that allows you access to thousands of “channels” (free and paid). You can view Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu Plus, to name a few. A Roku cost $49.99 and up and we LOVE ours and recommend it whole-heartedly.